from Estonia when...
1. You use the word 'normal' if something is ok.
2. When visiting friends abroad you bring along a box of
3. You attended a song festival at least once either
as a performer or as a spectator.
4. You know that going to the sauna is 80% about
networking and 20% about washing
5. You are nationalistic about Skype (it is actually
6. 'Kohuke' belongs to your menu
7. You declare your taxes on the internet like all
8. You actually believed for a while that Latvians had 6
toes per foot when you heard that as a child
9. You are convinced that Estonia is very strategically
10. You spent at least one midsummer in Saaremaa, Hiiumaa
or one of the smaller islands
11. You can quote films like "Viimne reliikvia" and "Siin
12. You spit three times around your left shoulder for
13. Words like "veoauto", "täieõiguslik" or
"jää-äär" sound perfectly pronouncable to you
14. You like bold statements, such as this one...
15. There can never be too much sarcasm
16. You can at times drink hot tea to hot food
17. You are disappointed that Jaan Kross never got the
Nobel prize in literature
18. It would not be suprising for English-speakers to
find your namenaughty (Peep, Tiit, Andres
[sounds like undress] or hippy (Rein, Rain)
19. You have been to Finland
20. You say 'Noh' (sounds like NO) even when you
speak English, just to confuse people
21. You know the lyrics to "Mutionu" and
22. You would never mistaken Kreisiraadio
for a radio station
23. You would agree that wife-carrying is a
real sport (at least as long as Estonians are
24. Your best friend's girlfriend is your English
teacher's daughter and they live next door to
your grandparents, who were colleagues with your
advisor, who is friends with your...
25. You think that any beverage below 20%
26. You check the thermometer before going out
27. You look in both directions before crossing
the road, even if it's a one-way street
28. You grin very mysteriously when people ask about
your national food
29. You teach a non-Estonian speaker the word "Tänan"
30. You put ketchup inside your pasta (french-cooked
gourmet faire la finemanger pasta) in order to
not to get the ketchup-bowl dirty
31. You cheated on your wife/husband at least ten times
but you still think you're in a good marriage.
32. When someone asks you "where is Estonia?" you
quickly reply that it's located in Northern Europe
close to Finland...
33. Your grandmother's "purse" is an old plastic bag that
has been reused several times
34. Sour cream tastes good with everything
35. A foreigner speaks to you in broken horrible
Estonian and you go on and on about how wonderful
their Estonian is compared to "the Russians'"
36. You have ever worn or seen anyone wear "karupüksid"